Here at Adlard Coles Nautical, we’ll soon be wishing fair winds and following seas to one of our core crew members, the inimitable Half Hitch Hannah, after her three-year stint aboard this good ship, steering book projects through to completion with unfailing aplomb.
And while we wave goodbye to one comrade, we’ll be welcoming another into the fold as we recruit for an Editor to join our friendly nautical team here at Bloomsbury. If you are an editor looking for your next challenge, don’t delay – the application window closes this Sunday, 1st April.
EDITOR – ADLARD COLES
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc is looking for a highly motivated and organised person for our busy Nautical department. The role involves managing a number of nautical titles through the editorial stages from manuscript to publication and briefing authors, freelancers, illustrators and in-house colleagues.
Key responsibilities include:
– Copy editing and proof reading of manuscripts, including the briefing and managing freelancers, undertaking copy editing or proofreading in-house.
– Maintaining schedules for own projects and taking titles through to publication.
– Briefing in-house and freelance designers and illustrators on cover designs, text designs and specific artwork projects.
– Checking all page proofs for layout and content. Liaising with authors and proofreaders, collating comments and ensuring final files are ready for press, on schedule and within budget.
– Writing cover copy and assisting Marketing where necessary in the promotion of all titles.
– Working with Rights department to gather materials for foreign editions. Preparing sample spreads for use at book fairs, sales conferences and industry events.
– 18 months’ plus editorial experience in book publishing.
– Meticulous attention to detail.
– Excellent proofreading and copy editing skills.
-The ability to write strong sales copy and blurbs.
– The ability to prioritise and use their own initiative, juggling several projects at one time.
– Solid time-management skills to cope with competing deadlines.
– Experience in budget management.
– Basic knowledge of InDesign, Quark, Photoshop and Illustrator.
– Some experience of online/digital publishing would be an advantage.
– Some sailing knowledge/interest is a bonus, though not essential.
The role will be based at Bloomsbury Publishing, 50 Bedford Square, London WC1B 3DP.
Please apply by email only, including your CV, covering letter and salary expectations, to Sally Coleman, HR Manager, at email@example.com. Closing date 1st April 2012.