An ode to the prospect of a new boating season, by the Grand Mariner
There are nightmares and pitfalls everywhere in the boatyard at this time of year!
• A helpful rain shower just after completing the antifouling
• The boat next door spraying off after you’ve nicely polished & buffed the hull to a gleam
• Not realising you are tramping dark blue antifouling spots from the bottom of your shoes all over your nice white fibreglass deck
• Getting distracted and antifouling part of the prop in error
• Losing a critical tiny screw in the gravel
• The nearby hosepipe springing a leak and soaking your trolleyful of tools
• Worst of all – running out of teabags!
And then you look out over the water and see what awaits and the anticipation is almost tangible. The nightmares fade into an array of rainbows, beckoning all manner of pots of gold in the form of exhilarating passages, interesting landfalls or even just peaceful anchorages offering simple swimming and fishing opportunities – and watching the sun go down with glass or mug in hand of course. Bring on those days…!